12 DIYs of Christmas: Count Down Calendar
With a few minutes and a few dollars in craft supplies, you can put together this easy DIY Christmas count down calendar or advent calendar! It’s a fun tradition, especially for kids!
I hope you enjoy this 2nd holiday inspired DIY in the 12 DIY’s of Christmas. If you missed the first day of the 12 DIYs of Christmas, you can see how I made a set of berry garland napkin rings for $1, here.
Last year’s DIY Christmas calendar was featured in Reclaim, UK magazine, in the December 2019 edition titled “Styling Advent Calendars.” It was made with a picture frame, and the same numerical paper tags and paper bags. Here is a page from the magazine! So exciting to see my work in print!
This year, I used a similar technique, but found some super cute numbered clothespins from Hobby Lobby! In addition, I hung the Christmas count down calendar across a large chalkboard in my dining room.
Supplies for a Christmas Count Down Calendar
- Clothespins – numerical wood slice pins from Hobby Lobby
- Numbered paper tags – these are gift tags from Michael’s (can print or write your own on cardstock)
- Paper bags – these are from Hobby Lobby but any small paper bags will do
- Ribbon or jute string – length of picture frame, or chalk board
- Push pins
- Notes of activates or scripture, treats for bags…
Need: Ribbon, clothespins, tags, bags
1. Pin ribbon to frame.
Instructions for a Christmas Count Down Calendar
- First, find a large, empty chalkboard, memo board, or picture frame to use as the base. Then, cut ribbon a foot longer than the frame. Pin the ribbon with push pins near the top of the frame. For a narrower frame, you may have to hang several rows.
- Layer the bags, numbered paper tags and or clothespins on the table. You can fill with scripture, small treats or candies, or family friendly activities.
- Start by placing the bags with numbers 1, and 24 on either side of the ribbon. Next, find the center to hang bag 14. Lastly, hang the remainder of the bags on the ribbon.
2. Clip tags to bag.
3. Hang the bags on ribbon.
This is a great DIY whether you use it as an advent calendar or a fun Christmas count down calendar with winter activities with the family. For example, here are some of my family’s favorite activities for December.
- Decorate cookies with grandparents.
- Set up a hot cocoa bar in the breakfast room.
- Take hot cocoa in a thermos and drive around to look at Christmas lights.
- Put on Christmas pajamas and take selfies.
- Have a Christmas movie marathon with our favorite popcorn treat.
- Bake cookies for family and friends.
- Play Christmas music all day.
- Let older kids shop for other family members.
- Volunteer to bake treats and feed the homeless.
- Decorate gingerbread houses.
- Donate gently used towels and blankets to an animal shelter.
- Have a family game night around the fireplace.
- Make homemade snow globes with the kids.
- Make our own homemade peppermint candles.
- Shop or make gifts for teachers.
- Read ‘Twas the night before Christmas on Christmas Eve.
Be sure to save this to your Christmas crafting board on Pinterest! Then, follow me on Instagram stories for daily deals, home tours and more DIY tips!