How to Make a Rope Rainbow
How to Make a Rope Rainbow
This is a fun project that my teen daughter and I enjoyed doing together to create rainbow wall decor for her bedroom. It is not hard, but it is time consuming to wrap multiple cords. The best part is that you can make it any size, color or length. However, I’m going to share instructions to the mini rope rainbow that I made.
Depending on the size of the rainbow that you want to make, your materials will vary. For example, for a smaller rainbow which could act as a keychain or framed artwork, I used 5 mm cotton cord wrapped with embroidery thread. However, if you want to make a large rainbow as a wall hanging, I recommend using yarn to wrap around 1/2 cotton cording.
What You Need to Make a Rope Rainbow:
- Cotton cord
- Embroidery Thread or Yarn
- Tape – scotch tape or painters tape
- Needle – Sewing needle for smaller projects, or an embroidery needle for yarn
- Floral wire
- Framed sign, cardstock paper and hot glue gun if framing
What You Do to Make a Rope Rainbow:
- First, cut three lengths of cotton cord with each one about 1/2 of an inch longer than the next. For example, cut rope 8”, 8.5” and 9” long.
- Next, tape off one inch of each end of rope. (pic 1)
- Lay the embroidery thread one inch alongside the length of the rope. Tape a small piece if necessary. The thread should go in the direction of the center of the rope. (pic 2)
- Then, begin wrapping the cord right next to the taped ends. Wrap tightly and closely so that they cord doesn’t show through. In addition, you may need to push the thread together. You will wrap over the beginning of the taped thread. (pic 3)
- When you get to the end of the other taped end, wrap and loop under to tie a knot three times. Then, tie a knot on the end of the thread three times before cutting the end of the thread. *REPEAT STEPS 3-5 THREE TIMES. (or the number of layers of the rainbow you make)
- Then, hold the three wrapped cords together in a U-shape. If you are making a large rainbow, attach floral wire with a needle and thread or dot of hot glue. This will hold the shape better.
- Now, using a needle and thread, pull the thread through the center and both ends of the rainbow. The goal is to attach the layers of your rainbow together. Be vary careful because this is hard to do. Adult recommended to do this part, because you may have to use some force to get the needle through! (pic 4). Tie off each with a couple of knots before cutting ends.
- Next, untape the ends of the rainbow and undo the cording to fray it. You can use a small comb and or cut the frayed ends to the preferred length.
- The last thing to do is to display your rainbow. I took a small framed sign and covered the inside with white card stock paper. Then, I glued the rainbow onto the paper with a dot of hot glue. However, you can always add a loop to hang with additional yarn.
The best part about this DIY rope rainbow is that you can make it in your favorite colors. Plus, you can frame it, hang it or even make it into a keychain or backpack clip for friends! These are so cute and fun to make!
If you love this DIY rainbow wall decor, pin it to your Pinterest board!